12 Ways You Can Add Apple Cider Vinegar To Your Life
I remember growing up my mother and grandmother were always using DIY products for cleaning and health care. These tips have been passed down from generation to generation. We may call them holistic solutions, but I bet your mom or grandma used them long before our contemporary wellness culture discovered them. Take Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) for example… My mom always had ACV in the cupboard for cooking, cleaning, and for whatever ailed us. As an adult in my own home, I also have ACV on-hand. I never thought about why I had it, I just kept it stocked because my mom did.
Throughout the years, I developed Acid Reflux – bad. For months I didn’t know what that burning pain in my chest was. I was thinking the worst – I went to my doctor, and walked out with a prescription. That’s what doctor’s do: prescribe medication. The prescription worked great while I was on it. I still felt awful when I finished the prescription. While there is certainly a need for doctors, I was looking for a long-term solution. I thought to myself, being on medication for the rest of my life for acid reflux is no way to live.
I did some research and learned about possible food triggers: walnuts, wine, tomato sauce, and chocolate (oh no, not chocolate!) to name a few. I stopped consuming anything that could possibly trigger that awful burning in my chest. I then learned about ACV and acid reflux… My life changed!
I found a popular brand, BRAGGS. It’s raw, organic and unpasteurized (which I’m not sure my mother or grandmother’s was – but necessary qualities). Every morning I started having 1-2 TBS in a tall glass of water. To test it, I started carefully adding in food triggers. Amazingly, I felt great! That was many years ago. To this day, ACV and water are part of my morning routine.
12 Additional Uses For Apple Cider Vinegar Include:
- Regulates Blood Sugar: it has anti-glycemic ability which can aid with diabetes
- Heart Health: contains polyphenols which can regulate cholesterol
- Prevents Colds: contains anti-bacterial properties that breaks down mucus and fight infections
- Skin: can be used a toner, mix 3 parts ACV to 1 part filtered water
- Hair: rinse your hair with 2 TBS twice weekly to make it shiny and reduce product build-up
- Sunburn relief: apply on a cotton ball, swipe on affected area. Or, add it to a bath.
- All-purpose Cleaner: mix with water in a 1:1 ratio in a spray bottle. Good for non-porous surface
- Catch Fruit Flies: place 1 cup of ACV with drop of dish soap on counter (cover with fork-punctured tinfoil)
- Food: can’t forget this one!
- Vinaigrette: ¼ cup ACV to 1 cup olive oil – mix in dijon mustard, honey, and shallots to taste
- Marinade: mix 1 cup with 2 chopped cloves of garlic, and a heaping spoonful of salt and pepper, then let the meat rest in the brine for 15 to 20 minutes before cooking. Or, combine 2 tbsp of the vinegar with 3/4 cup dry white wine, 1/3 cup olive oil, and your favorite aromatics, such as rosemary & garlic, for a tasty overnight marinade for chicken
- Soups: splash some ACV in to boost flavor
Go on, take your Apple Cider Vinegar out of the cupboard and start using it daily!